Philosophy and Nonsense
(Thoughts about writing, education, and experience.) Presented by Forrest D. Poston
The first goal of teaching is to strengthen, deepen and refine our intrinsic love of learning. All other goals and all methods must stem from that idea. Any that do not support that goal must at least be questioned and adjusted, if not eliminated. Otherwise, we are not teaching but training.
Think, I dare you.
|Those who cant don't understand.|
|Quick Points About Teaching
This is a list of some of the primary points behind my philosophy. You'll see many of them played out in longer form as I get the pages written and added. I'll add to the list whenever I have an aphorism attack.
1. Telling and teaching are not synonymous.
2. Memorization and learning are not synonymous.
3. Information and knowledge are not synonymous.
4. Knowledge and power are not synonymous.
5. Power and wisdom are not synonymous.
6. Learning is a creative act.
7. Their learning is more important than my teaching.
8. The mission takes precedence over procedures.
9. Procedure and process are not
10. Testing and assessing are not the
11. Learning is a long term process.
12. Learning is an individual act.
13. People and numbers are not
14. If it can be graded by a computer, it doesn't test learning.
E-mail Back to the Home Page
Writing and Education
Four Meanings of Life
Godot and the Great Pumpkin
A Major is More Minor Than
The Poetry Process (A look at 4 versions of a poem.)
Thoughts About Picking a Major
Quick Points About Education
Quick Points About Writing
Reading Poetry and Cloud Watching
Using an Audience
What Makes a Story True?
What's the Subject of This Class? (Being revised.)
Writing and Einstein (The Difference Between Information and Meaning)
Writing and the Goldilocks Dilemma
Links to Other Sites
Other Essays and Poetry
Something Somewhat Vaguely Like a Resume
Alec Kirby, Memories of an Earnest Imp
Being Like Children
Beyond the Genes (Dad)
The Blessing and the Blues
Bookin' Down Brown Street
The Cat With a Bucket List
David and the Revelation
The Dawn, the Dark, and the Horse I Didn't Ride In On (an odd, meandering, semi-romantic story)
Getting a Clue
Ghost Dancer in the Twilight Zone
The Hair Connection and the Nature of Choices
I Believe in Capra
The Mug, the Magic, and the Mistake
Roto, Rooter and the Drainy Day
Sadie on the Bridge
Trumpet Player, USDA Approved
The Poetry Process
Links to Other Sites